Thursday, July 5, 2012

Tribute to Cowboy Boots: 'Charlie Dunn', Jerry Jeff Walker

Tribute to Cowboy Boots: 'Charlie Dunn', Jerry Jeff Walker Tube. Duration : 3.55 Mins.


READ THIS: Charlie Dunn loved this song and his friends sang it at his funeral in 1993. Charlie was in his early 80's when he made my boots back in 1973. Jerry Jeff Walker's ode to Charlie is a classic tribute to custom bootmakers and aficionados. I remember when Charlie was tracing my foot measurements and questioned me about the t-shirt and boots I was wearing. Before I could utter a word Charlie said, "Clarks beeswax desert treks--English". Aside from dress shoes I've only wore Clarks boots (I think he liked that). He was puzzled though by my explanation of the, 'Wishbone Ash' English band t-shirt. I told him I worked for Jerry Jeff Walker's record company . And Charlie just smiled and went on and on about Ol' Scamp Walker, his new best friend. Note: 'Buck' was the owner operator of the Capitol Saddlery (my boots cost 0 and Buck required a 0 cash deposit...such a deal). Looking back, I'm glad Henry Withers (MCA/Universal Music Group-Houston office) brought his camera to capture the moment on film. Video features archive photos of Charlie and I at the Capitol Saddlery in Austin, my monogrammed Charlie Dunn boots, and me wearing the boots for a promotion shoot on the backlot of Universal. Also includes photos of Jerry Jeff and Jimmy Buffet. If I was ever to own custom monogrammed cowboy boots in my lifetime, I was indeed fortunate to have them handcrafted by the legendary Charlie Dunn. As the story goes, it was this song, that inspired Lee Miller to make boots. Lee ...